Thursday, April 16, 2009

Postcard from the Pine Barrens

pine barrens

Been riding through NJ for three days now. For the first time there’s a little sun overhead. Things are definitely looking up from when I entered this state...


Took the ferry from Manhattan to the north side of NJ near the coast. Got off the ferry and a bird nailed me - gross. Welcome to New Joisey.


Forgot to charge the GPS and it gave out 5 miles from the campground. Lucky me - I found it anyway. Pulled in just after dark and managed to get the tent up before it started to rain. In the middle of the night discovered that my sleeping pad has a hole in it. Very nice.

My route is between the turnpike and the coast. Nothing here but pine barrens (sandy soil, short pine trees and not much else). Carved out amid the trees there are blueberry farms and even farther looks like they're planting veggies. Who'd have imagined there could be places with so few people in New Jersey?

The campgrounds at the state parks have been very nice - deluxe even - and the folks are friendly. The drivers have been accommodating. The libraries have wi-fi. And every town it seems has at least one good ol’ east coast Italian restaurant which has become the only food group I care about anymore. What’s not to like?


blueberries


Click here for the route through New Jersey

No comments: